the Bluegrass Boys
Dedicated to Superior Craftsmanship
Born and raised on a 100+ year old family farm north of Gregory, SD, Ryan grew up watching his Dad and Grandpa tend to the land and livestock. He saw firsthand the hard work that was required to be successful. These men were the root of his drive and inspiration to work for himself, and he credits them for his entrepreneurial spirit. I guess you could say it’s in the blood…or maybe he’s just too stubborn to work for someone else! Regardless, Ryan learned, and holds onto, those small-town family values: work hard, love God, and help out others.
After attending both the University of Oregon and Oregon State University, Ryan began his career in the golf course business. He held positions ranging from Summer Intern to Golf Course Superintendent at some of the top clubs in the Western US before landing back in South Dakota. Today he lives in Rapid City with his wife Kelly and two children, Charlie and Cora, and landscaping has become his new obsession. When he’s not playing in the dirt, you can often find him exploring the beautiful Black Hills, a place he loves to call home.
- B.S. Biology, University of South Dakota, Vermillion, SD.
- B.S Horticulture – Turf and Landscape Mgmt., Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR.
- Intern – Emerald Valley Golf Club, Creswell, OR.
- Intern – The Valley Club, Hailey, ID.
- Assistant Superintendent – The Glacier Club, Durango, CO.
- Superintendent – The Golf Club at Devils Tower, Hulett, WY.
- Club Manager – Boulder Canyon Country Club, Sturgis, SD.
- Participant – Leadership Rapid City – 2012 class.
- Member – Rapid City Area Chamber of Commerce – 2017-present.
- Member – Arbor Day Foundation – 2017-present.
- Dirt Monkey Certified Contractor– 2018-present.